Tuesday, March 30, 2010

my writing desk

I have a penchant for voyeurism. It's what draws me to reality tv and fashion blogs, particularly "what's in my handbag" posts (coincidently - Yasemin from Primped posted a delightful one recently), amongst other things. One of my most recent voyeuristic discoveries has been Tara Moss' The Book Post: A writers blog about writing, particularly her "I've Shown You Mine, Now Show Me Yours" segment, in which she posts photos of various writers' writing desks. It's fun. And inspiring. So much so that I decided, on a whim, to post some photos of mine.

This kind of ties in with my last post. As my desk is where I spend most of my time, it is a reflection of things that make me happy - especially since a lot of things that cause me stress also exist there (i.e. my uni work), so a lot of compensation is required!
You can see my beloved laptop glowing in the corner there. It's an ACER - incredibly reliable, sturdy, light as air, skinny, with an 8-hour battery life. Perfection.

I recently bought my little whiteboard from Kikki.K. On it is my copy of L'Oeuf (as a reminder that I really have to read it for class!), as well as a Things to Do list (the process of writing lists calms and centres me) and some pretty postcards that I bought from Centre Pompidou in Paris over Christmas. You can also see my manila folders, on the stand, which I use to organise my notes for uni. They are much cuter close-up (they have a gorgeous mushroom print on them!) My French dictionary and exercise book are sitting there because I have a test tomorrow which I am frantically preparing for. I study French as part of my Law/Arts degree - simply because I love it (and the French/France [Paris] in general), not due to any talent in languages whatsoever. I am not very good!

My notebook is a Moleskine (which I feel silly about after reading this post on Stuff White People Like!) I have one for each subject, which I use for my tutorial presentations and lecture notes. I love cute stationary, and I just bought the clear stapler, tape dispenser and hole punch from Kikki. K - I saw them on display and had to have them!

e My beautiful lavender hand cream to keep my hands soft and nourished, and my gorgeous Malin & Goetz fragrance in Synthesised Lotus Root - it smells like Sundays, freshly washed hair and crisp white sheets (if that makes sense).

Just a few books, DVDs and CDs I like to keep nearby - the books (A Memorable Feast by Ernest Hemmingway and Norwegian Wood by Haruki Marukami), I desperately want to read; and the DVDs (Mad Men Season 2, 2 Days in Paris, Love Actually, Notting Hill, Bridget Jones' Diary) I have seen many, many times but never tire of. The CDs (John Mayer, Missy Higgins, Damien Rice, Xavier Rudd) are some of my favourites. I like to play them on the desktop computer (to my right) because it has a much better sound system than my laptop, and I can listen to them at the same time as lectures without them drowning each other out (did I mention that I simply have to multitask to avoid going crazy?)

My messy drawer, equipped not only with stationary but also cosmetics, for those days I am rushing to prepare for my tutorials and I have to make myself up on-the-go.

My special Swedish chair that makes me sit up straight :)
So that is my little corner of the world. Or one of them. For my fellow voyeurs out there!

3 comments:

Happiness Sparkles said...

so nosey but i love posts like this!
it gives me ideas about how to organize my own stuff!
love xx

Laura Valerie said...

Thank you! I love being nosey too xx

Anonymous said...

I love this, it's inspired me to post one of my own! lol. Though maybe less detailed because I'm feeling lazy tonight.